Sunday, March 25, 2012

He Shoots the Three, and Scores

I won an award, I’ve made it, I’m a top mommy!  Oh wait, not that one and you know, I’m not a mommy.  Red bestowed it upon me to give me the 3 award.  What this means for me is I have to tell you 3 things about me, shouldn’t be too hard.  And for me to pick 3 other bloggers that I want to know about.  That will be a little more difficult since I follow so many.  As I’m relatively new to all this, there are only a few of you that I’ve even talked to via comments.  Take Red out of that takes half of those out. I need to get out there more apparently.

So to start off, 3 things about me, hmmm. 
  1. To my family, “traditions” are huge.  Each holiday, we do the same thing every year.  You name a holiday, and I can tell you when and where we’ll be.  An example – Easter – Meet at my mom’s for lunch, after lunch, everybody but a few of us walks down to the river and it doesn’t matter if it’s 20 below out, your going.  The few that stay back hide eggs in the backyard and I’m talking 300+ eggs for everyone.  River people come back and the kids go looking for eggs.  Hang out for a bit and then head home.  Every holiday is preplanned like that.  My grandmother once asked me if I’d carry on the traditions after they were gone, I said “Hell No, the traditions are dying with you”.  But in reality, we’ll all still be doing them, which she knows.
  2. I’m a square.  I may lose readers after this one, but I’ve never done any drugs (other than doctor recommended), none.  I hadn’t even smelled pot before this year (stupid neighbors).  There is reasons for that, one, I’ve never desired to try any but also, I’ve never had a lot of friends so I was never peer pressured to try any.  Being a loner is not always a bad thing.
  3. Back in high school, I took a trip to Wyoming with a group of other teens.  We spent one day hiking on “The Grand Tetons” mountains.  Elevation is 13,770 feet (2.6 miles)  We left from the base of the mountain in shorts, and had to hike though huge snow banks when we got to the top.  It was pretty wild.  You couldn’t walk straight up on the snow because of the slope of the mountain, you had to walk across and zig zag till you got to the top of the snow.  If I recall correctly, I got in trouble on the way back down because rather than do the zig zag, I sat on my backpack and rode it straight down.  Digging my feet in just before I hit the rocks at the bottom.  Out of the 25 or so teens that made the hike, I was 1 of the only 3 that made it all the way to the top.  Wish I still had that kind of energy.  My brother wussed out on the last mile.

Well, there’s 3 things about me.  That was a little tougher than I thought it would be.  Mainly because I’m pretty much an open book.  I really don’t have many secrets but that’s mainly because I generally don’t care what people think about me, therefore, why would I care what you know about me.  To prove it, feel free to ask me anything in the comments.  I’ll answer.
Now for the 3 people I’m giving awards to, this is a little tougher because there’s so many that I follow.  I’m going to try to show some love to the other Dad’s out there blogging about their adventures.  I don’t much about them or their blogs as I’ve only been reading them for a few weeks, but I do know that I enjoy them.
  1. Wag The Dad – Because he’s a dad, and takes on various topics from a father’s perspective.  He pulls no punches and is funny as hell.  And apparently likes to drool in the shower, haven’t tried that yet.
  2. Daddy Scratches – Because he’s a dad, and I loved his last post about the Harry Potter books.  And he’s not afraid to tell his kids no, which is a rarity anymore.
  3. Telling Dad – I’m really new to his blog, but I like what I’ve seen so far.  And I read where he is F-bomb free which is cool.  While I don’t mind cussing, I tend to cuss a lot outside of my home.  I just can’t bring myself to do it in my blog.
So there you have it, showing some of the dad’s some love.  Be sure to check them all out and be sure to check out another (soon to be) Hoosier, Red’s blog “Doesn’t Speak Klingon”.  Thanks for the award, it was greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Cool post. I'm so jealous about the mountain climb! I enjoy hiking, but live on what is basically a large sandbar out here...pretty flat.

    I'd love to hear about it if you ever break with tradition! haha...what would the family say??

    ReplyDelete