Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Samantha

Today is my daughters birthday.  She’s with her mother today so I won’t even get to see her.  I did call her and wish her a happy birthday.  Instead, I’m going to my cousin’s wife’s graduation party this evening.  Which is fine, I always enjoy the family get togethers regardless of what it’s for.  And my cousin’s are in from North Carolina and I only see them every couple of years.

So 10 years ago today, I was in the hospital with my now ex-wife.  It was our first child.  She was a scheduled C-section because she was breach.  Tina didn’t produce enough amniotic fluid for her to turn.  Since it was scheduled, we got to choose her birthday.  I chose the 1st of July.  Easy decision. 1st day of the month sounded cool.  Plus she ended up being 7 lbs, 1 oz.  So she was 7 1 on 7 1.

Because of the C-section, I stayed up by Tina’s head so I couldn’t see what they were doing.  I was afraid I would look right down in there and pass out.  I didn’t know how I would react and I didn’t want to take a chance that that would happen.  They pulled her out and said stand up and look at your baby girl and I did.  I then followed the nurses over so they could clean her off.  I couldn’t believe it, I was a daddy.  I never really wanted to be a parent and here I was, holding a baby daughter.

I was an involved parent, after I was taught how to hold, change and feed a baby, I did them all.  Before I had a kid, I had no idea what to do.  I was never the kind of father who wouldn’t change diapers, or stay home with the kids so the wife could go out.  I never really had a problem taking the baby with me places.  As a matter of fact, you’d be amazed how many women give you a second look when your out with a kid by yourself.

She was a good baby, I don’t remember any major problems.  But she has grown up fast.  I can’t believe she’s only 1 year removed from going to Jr. High.  And she is a daddy’s girl.  I planned on using some pictures of her growing up on this post.  But I’ve been fighting with the Ex just trying to borrow them and scan them.  So I leave you with this picture.  It was taken a few years ago, but I do enjoy it.

267380_2296403775771_3086593_n0

I cropped it close and it’s a little blurry.  But you can see my beautiful princess (don’t tell her I called her that, she’d be mad).  Happy Birthday Samantha.  You’ll always be daddy’s little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment