Wednesday, March 27, 2013

WWW Wednesdays #8

WWW_Wednesdays4

To play along, I’m supposed to answer 3 easy questions.

What are you currently reading?

Sunrise (Pact Arcanum, #2)

Sunrise (Pact Arcanum #2) by Arshad Ahsanuddin

I’m only 10% done with this but I like that I’m learning more about the main characters of the series and possibly learn how everything came to be as far as the Triumvirate was founded.  I don’t know if the whole book is a prequel or just some more to background info yet.

What did you recently finish reading?

Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery, #2)

Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery #2) by Kim Harrison

I enjoyed this, I knew I would though.  I’m a big fan of Kim Harrison and while I love her Hollows series, this series is kind of iffy for me.  Maybe it’s just the whole angel/reaper characters not being what I’m used to when reading about them.  I do like where the characters are heading and what they are trying to accomplish and I like the books themselves but the whole “system” of reaping and saving souls seems lost on me.  The fact that there are angels who’s whole purpose is to smite someone just because of what they will do in the future doesn’t sit well but then again, that’s what the whole system the main character (Madison Avery) is trying to change.  She’s trying to make it where she gives the people a chance to change so the reasoning behind it makes sense.

I gave it 4 stars because I did enjoy it even with my minor gripes above.  I look forward to reading the next one in the series which I probably will after reading the last of the series below.

Cathedral of the Sky (Pact Arcanum, #1.5)

Cathedral of the Sky (Pact Arcanum #1.5) by Arshad Ahsanuddin

When I first got this book from the author, I didn’t really understand the whole 1.5 listing in the series.  Now that I’ve read it, it all makes sense.  In the first book of the series (Sunset (Pact Arcanum #1) there was a character that your introduced to at the very end of the book, and he makes a huge impact but we know little about him.  Michael saves the world as we know it, he comes into the story, saves the world and that’s it.

Arshad did this one right.  He took that character that meant so much and told his story, starting with his turn all the way to where we meet him in the first book and a little after.  This was a really good read because you see how he became the young man he was.  It helps you to understand why this kid who could have had it all was flying a ship below his knowledge and why he preferred to be alone.

I definitely recommend this book but you’ll still need to read the first one, or at least the ending of it because this one was written as if you had.  Which isn’t a complaint, because if everything in the first book was in this one as well, I would have been skimming because I wouldn’t have wanted to read it all over again.

What do you think you’ll read next?

Moonlight (Pact Arcanum, #3)

Moonlight (Pact Arcanum #3) by Arshad Ahsanuddin

As I’ve said before, Arshad has sent me these books to review so I will read the next in the series.

If you want to join on WWW Wednesdays, click the logo on top or go to http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/ and leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of the Madison Avery series before, you make it sound quite interesting I'll have to keep an eye out for the first one.
    new follower <3
    here's my WWW post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely different but enjoyable. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I think it's my first time to your blog (from MizB's). Don't you love the wwwWed? My list is at http://katybrandes.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/www-wednesday-march-27/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it, never knew there were that many book blogs out there until it. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Interesting books and thoughtful comments on them. I need to look into Pact Arcanum. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. You can find my WWW here: http://gwynnethwhite.blogspot.com/
    cheers

    ReplyDelete