Thursday, December 19, 2013

Duck Dynasty Fiasco

I watch Duck Dynasty, I like the show.  I don’t go overboard with it, I have no merchandise, I don’t go around quoting it, but I like it.  It’s one of the many shows my wife and I DVR,  I am also for gay rights, they should have all the rights that us straight people do.  I read the quote that Phil said in GQ, here it is according to the CNN site.

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

Asked what, in his mind, is sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

As a straight man, the first paragraph makes sense.  To a straight man, a woman’s vagina does look better.  That’s my opinion and his, it doesn’t say I’m anti-gay, it describes my sexual preference.  The second paragraph is his opinion too.  If he thinks homosexual behavior is a sin, more power to him.  Me personally, have never really thought about it.  I’m not gay, nor do I have gay sex, so what do I care if it is a sin or not.

What I don’t understand is why everybody else has to express their opinion on everyone else.  What happened to everyone was entitled to their own opinion?  I think the gay and lesbian community should be allowed to marry, I assume Phil doesn’t.  Who’s to say my opinion is right or his opinion is wrong?  Who’s to say my opinion is wrong and his is right?  Isn’t that what an opinion is?  Why does everyone think that you have to make everybody else think like you?

But what really kills me, I saw this on Facebook earlier today.

Christian Evangelical TEA Party Members's photo.

I see these on pages of people who have come out and said other people are wrong.  People who say other peoples beliefs are wrong.  So I’m supposed to respect your beliefs when a bunch of you don’t respect my beliefs.  I agree with the message here, just not with who is saying it.  These people are the ones claiming everyone else is wrong because the other aren’t Christians or because they are for gay rights.  These are the same people that would have a fit if there was a show that came out in support of gay rights.  They’d be all over it, ban this, ban that.  But now they are going to preach about how we have to respect their beliefs.

For anybody that watches or knows anything about the show Duck Dynasty, are you really surprised to hear that Phil spoke out against it?  He’s a Christian, they pray at the end of every show, I’m not shocked that he’s against gay rights.

You want my personal opinion, Phil can say whatever he wants to say.  I don’t watch the show because I need to know his opinion.  I watch the show for entertainment value, it can be hilarious.  Some of the stupid things they do are so stupid, it’s funny.  I don’t watch it to find his religious beliefs.  This goes for all the people who want to ban the show because he prays at the end of it too.  WHO CARES?  If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it.  You don’t need to create a hate filled Facebook page about it, JUST DON’T WATCH IT!

download

From the http://www.merriam-webster.com/ site.

I’m big on this word, coexist.  If everyone could coexist, this world would be a better place.  I don’t have to like what you do to like you.  Respect those around you if you want respect.  Be nice to me, I’ll be nice to you.

If you don’t want to watch Duck Dynasty anymore, don’t watch it.  Don’t preach to everyone that still does, that they shouldn’t.  Along with coexist, the word tolerance will go a long way.  Just because people think differently than you do, doesn’t make them bad people.  If you have a difference in opinion then someone else then don’t discuss those opinions, it’s really that easy.

While I don’t like some of what Phil said, I’ve heard a crap load more of his opinions on the show that I did like.  I don’t hate the man because he has one opinion that differs than mine.  He’s old school on the show, he believes in hard work.  Here is his quote from being suspended for A&E

"I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.”

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

The 2nd paragraph sums it up, with or without God involved, we would all be better off if we loved each other.  It also goes to show you how much this has gotten blown out of proportion.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the video of Phil's "sermon?" It is hate speech. He crosses the line from just professing his beliefs to hate speech. I think A & E made the right decision to suspend him. His comments about gays are much like what we heard about African-Americans from the anti-civil rights crowd during the Civil rights movement, or from Nazi's about the Jews. There is a difference between holding a personal opinion and encouraging hate. Phil's a hater. Watch the sermon video on You Tube…it's not professing love for all mankind!

    ReplyDelete