Sunday, April 30, 2017

Prompt #2 - Listen to your mother

I've got some time today so I figured I'd do another prompt. I plan on working on my cards most of the day but I figured I'd take some time to do this before I get going on that.

#556 - A time when you should have listened to your mother.

I could probably make a huge list for this one but I don't really remember one specific time as in her actually telling me not to do something. That's probably because I generally did things and then she told me why I shouldn't have because like most teenagers, I didn't ask my mom for help because I knew everything.

I can give you all kinds of instances where I should have listened. Quitting basketball tryouts would be number 1, because I still hear about that to this day.

She always told me that my skipping school would reflect on my working career. Technically she was right, I used to skip work all the time as well. That has changed though, pretty much when I started having kids, funny how that happens. Now I get a certificate every month at work for perfect attendance. I usually have to fight my group leader to throw it in the trash because she likes to hang them on the wall. They are my certificates however, so I win that battle every time.

I don't really have a ton of regrets, because I'm one of those the journey that got you there. The only thing I would really change about my life right now would be if I didn't have to work. I hate going to work everyday and if I could afford not to, I wouldn't.

Do I regret my first marriage? Yes and no. Yes, because I feel like I wasted a lot of years with someone who I'm not sure ever really loved me. On the other hand, she gave me 2 great kids and those 14 years we were married was building me up to who I am today and that person won over my current wife, whom I love. So by that logic, you can see why I have little regrets.

Even the whole quitting basketball thing. Do I regret quitting tryouts for the high school team? Yes, because I could have at minimum, gone to college for free. But would I have ended up with my wife or the kids I have without it? Probably not.

To sum all this up, I asked my mom why she didn't tell me to not get married the first time, she said, you wouldn't have listened to me if I did. She was right.

I don't know if I ever really answered the question, but I got a post out of it, so there is that.

Day 119, Tomah, WI (391.4 Miles)

I'm making my way across Wisconsin but I'm really not close to anything and won't be for awhile. It's cold and rainy today so I doubt I get much in. I'll be lucky to get 1000 steps today.

1 comment:

  1. "I asked my mom why she didn't tell me to not get married the first time, she said, you wouldn't have listened to me if I did. She was right." this sounds so much like a conversation I had with my Mom, and like you the first one gave me a couple of kids I wouldn't have had and the experience that made me who I am now.

    Nice post Jeff.

    ReplyDelete