Saturday, April 22, 2017

Prompt #1 - Something I made by hand

I have a list of writing prompts bookmarked and I random them all to see what I write about.

#239 - Share something you made by hand.

Well if you know me, then you know this will be a short post. I am not handy, at all. Sure, I can use tools and figure stuff out, I'm not a moron. Contrary to what some people think. If you sit me down and show me how to do something, I can probably do it. The question is, do I want to do it?

I was taught how to do an oil change and even though I never did one one on my own, I'm confident I could probably do one if a gun was held to my head. The difference is, I would rather pay someone else to do it. It's not something I enjoy so why would I want to do it?

I can and have used many power tools but to this day, if family sees me using something, they are shocked. I've worked in factories for years, I drive a forklift for a living now, but if it comes to working with my hands. Nope, nobody thinks I can. Even though I have helped family put up roofs and siding, put up fences and put down flooring, poured cement, put together shelves and other such things. Oh, I also used to work in steel construction but I can't use a wrench, oh, okay. Do I know how to do any of those things? No, not really, but all you have to do is show me how and I'll go to town.

As far as something I created by hand, I can't really come up with anything. I'd rather purchase something then make something. I get that from my mom. I don't have the patience to put something together. I don't really have the patience to fix things either. My wife usually does things like that just because she gets mad at me because I get mad at whatever I'm fixing. People, all the patience in the world. Things, no patience what so ever.

Day 111, Mauston, WI (362.5 Miles)

I haven't been very good at walking this week. Some overtime at work but mostly just lazy. I didn't even really have any good days at work. I think the only day I hit 8,000 was yesterday and I hit that right before bed.

I'm out in the middle of nowhere at the moment so nothing special to show. I'm still around 200 miles from my next destination so nothing definitely going on that's to exciting.

I was going to go walk today but I got roped into doing some yard work, it got me some steps but not many. I really need to get in the habit of walking again. I take one day off and I'm done, it's rather pathetic.

1 comment:

  1. Having the ability to comprehend and follow instructions is a task a lot of people cannot do, you could in fact make something by hand if you wanted to, I am just assuming this by your post, it all comes down to whether you are interested in it, or if it is something you really want to do, a lot of the things we need now are in fact easier bought than made so no need to build much of anything except for the big stuff which you already know you can do.

    Interesting post Jeff, one that made some good points for me, the walking will come around when you are ready my friend.

    ReplyDelete