Tuesday, August 11, 2015

3 miles, barely

If you read my last post, a couple of weeks ago, it said that I was going to try and walk more often. Well, this post is to tell you I went walking again, yeah, first time since then. So much for that. I did go for a 2nd time though, so let's celebrate that.

As my last post said, I was going to go through the neighborhoods across the street so I headed out after a few stretches on the stairs. I actually set a goal this time so I set out trying to accomplish something. I got going and was feeling pretty good, like I was thinking about a slow jog good. That didn't last to long, but I set a decent pace and pushed on. I kind of looped back and forth through the neighborhood and by the time I was heading back up the street that goes into the apartments, I was hurting. I pulled out my phone to see if I was close to my goal and I still had a little less than half a mile to reach it. Damn it! My feet were hurting and my legs were tired but I really wanted to reach that goal. So I did a lap around the apartments and I was still a tad short so I did half of another. I barely made it up the stairs when I got home but I did it, I reached 3 miles!


You see I ended up at 3.17 miles and I did it under an hour. I don't know if that's good or not, but it sounds good to me.

Let's take a look at my route.


I went from my apartment (the flag) and went straight out the entrance and across the street. I took that road all the way to the dead end and followed it to the right and around. Then I stayed on that road all the way to the last road and looped it around which is the 1 mile mark. On that long stretch, I walked by a house where there were 2 huge German Shepherds laying in the front yard and the home owner (I assume) was up on the roof hanging shutters. As I walked by I saw out of the corner of my eye one of the dogs get up and head my way. I didn't think anything of it, I just assumed it would stop at the road and I was on the other side of it. Next thing I know, I feel a nose up my ass, it startled me, not because it was a dog but just because I really wasn't expecting it. I reached around and gave him a quick pet before he trotted back to his yard.

The dark blue is my 1-2 miles track. You can see where I hit the 2 mile mark, Why they can't have another color for the 3rd mile is beyond me. After I looped around after the 2nd mile marker is where I pulled out my phone, hoping I already hit it but I hadn't. I decided to just go back to the apartment anyways. You see in the 2nd picture on the way back where it looked like I was going to go down that road but turned around? I actually was walking that way waiting for traffic to clear so I could cross. I was afraid if I stopped, I may not get it going again. I got into the apartment complex and stayed towards the outside, hoping when I got to my apartment, I'd be done, but I wasn't. I still had .21 miles left at the apartment so I continued on but I moved to the inside of the parking lot once I hit the entrance. You can see I hit the 3 mile just after the entrance, I checked it not long afterwards and you can see when I cut back towards the apartment. At the very end, I cut through apartments just to get back and it was all I could do to make it up the stairs to the apartment. I was wore out.

The first time I walked, I didn't really feel all that horrible when I finished, granted it was over a mile shorter, but this time I was really feeling it. As I type this, 5 hours later, I don't feel too bad. I think I was on the verge of a blister on the ball of my foot when I got home but that is feeling better as well. That might be more my footwear. I wear my sneakers anytime I leave the house, except for work. I've had them for a few years now, I just replace the cushion and arch support occasionally, which I believe is what I need to do.


This app keeps awards, to bad it's not money, I might walk more. Let's see what I achieved on my 2nd walk.I earned 5 but these 3 are the only ones I'm counting. The other 2 was most Calories, which duh, I walked further and one for reaching my goal. Longest distance I already discussed as well as the longest duration so we'll get to the fastest speed. My fastest speed was 4.8 mph which is actually an improvement on my last walk which was only 4.2 mph. If you go back to the top screenshot, you'll see my average pace was 3.0 mph, last time it was 3.2 mph but I'm telling you, I was dragging ass the last stretch so it probably really slowed that one down.

Maybe next time, hopefully there will be another, I'll set my goal at 2.5 miles and work my way up to 3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment