Sunday, July 5, 2020

Facebook

I'm about done with Facebook. I always hated how they pick and choose what and who you see so I had a customized list which they used to let you do. I put all the people and pages that I wanted to see on it and then click on the list and it would order it by most recent. I would scroll down until I got to the spot where I left off last time. I got to see everything that I wanted to see. If someone posted a bunch of the same stuff every day, I just removed them from the list, I didn't have to unfriend them, just made it so I didn't see them anymore.

The last couple of weeks, Facebook has changed the list and it now does the same crap as their newsfeed. Only shows me what they want me to see. I see the same posts for a couple of days. I don't want to see what I've already seen. I don't want to have to scroll through all that just to see what I haven't seen. So like I said, I'm about done with it all.

Let's take a look at all my social media and how I view it.

  • Facebook - look at my list and my memories for that day. For now.
  • Instagram - only view the stories, will occasionally scroll through the feed when I'm bored, but not very often.
  • Pinterest - only post my cards from my blog. Don't view anything at all.
  • Snapchat - I send my streaks out daily and view streaks sent back to me. I'll go through the feed once a day but I only have a couple of people who posts regularly.
  • Tik Tok - I only check it when I'm pooping at home (I hate when people watch videos in the bathroom in public places.)
  • Twitter (personal) - I have a list of people of who I actually follow. I check it daily but doesn't take more than a few minutes to get through it.
  • Twitter (sports) - Same as above. This list has card blogs and other sports figures but again, doesn't take more than a few minutes to get through it.

With all of those above, I rarely post anything to any of them. My twitter accounts I post links to blog posts but as far as anything personal, extremely rare.

So when someone asks me if I could live without Social Media, yeah, I really could live without it. It's not a huge deal in my life. Do I enjoy it? Sure. Do I have to have it? Nope.

I don't understand the obsession with Facebook to begin with. I see people in their cars while driving to work at 4 am in the morning scrolling through it. Is it really that important that you can't drive without looking at it? I see people at work constantly pulling their phones out and checking it. I just don't understand it at all.

For the record, I rarely, and I mean rarely ever use social media on my phone, other than Snapchat and TikTok because that's kind of their thing but as stated above, I don't use them often. When do I look at social media? Usually sitting in my recliner on my laptop in my living room. Not in the car, not at work, not while hanging out with my friends (if I had any).

When I get bored, I will admit I get on Reddit on my phone but it's not that often. Usually if I'm sitting there with some time to kill for something.

I just truly don't get the obsession.

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting there. Because I live a life that is so different to everyone else's I feel guilty if I'm not updating my social media to reflect what I am doing. But it has recently occurred to me how incredibly arrogant that is. Like everyone is just dying to know what BRETT is doing all the time.

    Plus, it seems lately even my jokes can be posted without some snide remark being made about politics or COVID. I thin I might be much happier if I just walked away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't even get into the political side of things. I'm really tired of all that as well.

      Delete
  2. Well said. Maybe I need to do an inventory of the same.
    ... I think I will. (copying your idea, thank you!)
    As far as facebook, I stay on it because it is my connection to people on the far side of the planet. BUT I only look at it from my computer, where I've added a filter that sorts out posts containing key words ... since that filter I hardly see anything from family anymore. Guess they're my triggers after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken a few people off my list because they post the same thing over and over. Right now, I've bookmarked about 6 people and I just check their pages daily. I've scrolled though my feed maybe once or twice this whole week, just because I was bored.

      Delete