Friday, August 4, 2017

Routines

We all have routines, I definitely have routines but they were disrupted this week. Cheri had decided to run off to Virginia with her daughter and to spend time with her son (and other family and friends) which left me and the younger kids on our own. Not technically on our own since our cat is here, as well as my daughter's dog. Certainly nothing I can't handle, I'm a big boy, but I have routines that when I get out of them, I get lost.

My work morning routine is get up, do bathroom stuff, get dressed in the closet (so I don't wake Cheri) then I go to the kitchen, get my lunch together, put on my shoes, put on my glasses (prescription safety glasses) and head for the garage to go to work.

My routine this week is more or less the same but I had to add a few things. With Cheri gone, if I don't feed the animals, they won't get food until the kids get up which could be as late as noon (not usually, but it has happened). So I check both their dishes as well as open my sons door so the dog can go sleep in his room after I leave. If I don't open the door, he thinks he's alone and whines for a little bit which will wake my son up anyways. If I open his door, the dog will just go get into bed with him until he wakes up.

As you can see, not much change, but there was one morning where I stepped out into the garage and couldn't figure out why everything was blurry. I then realized that I didn't put my glasses on. I was out of sync.

My nightly routine, is I put away what ever I have out by my recliner, put my phone on the charger then go to the bathroom (take contacts out, brush teeth) go into the closet and get out of my PJ's and go to bed.

Without Cheri here, I also let the dog outside, check the water dishes and clean the litter box before bed. Once again, not much addition but it's enough. I went through that routine and went to bed. When I got up the next morning, I went through the other routine only this time, I put my glasses on and everything got blurry. Apparently, I forgot to take my contacts out the night before.

The problem this time though was because I had just gotten up (I usually walk out the door 15 minutes after I've gotten up) and I had slept in my contacts. I couldn't get them out because they were stuck to my eyes. So I had to grab my glasses and my contacts case and hope by the time I got to work, they would come out. They did after a bunch of intentional (and non-intentional) yawning to get some moisture in my eyes.

I have other routines, such as when I first get to work as well as when I get on my laptop (I have a daily's bookmark that I work my way though) but I'm always amazed at how little I get screwed up when I get a little out of my routine.

6 comments:

  1. Routines are very important and just a little addition to that routine can throw everything else off, I cringed when you said you had slept in your contacts, I remember doing that (when I was still wearing contacts) and it was almost like they had super glue on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to sleep in mine all the time. I had one pair in for over a year. I just never took them out. The only reason I take them out now is I just figure it can't be good for me but I never had a problem with them. I forced myself to get prescription safety glasses for 2 reasons. 1-To ensure I always wore them (I was bad for leaving them on my head) and 2-To ensure I take my contacts out every night.

      Delete
  2. I need to get myself back into routines. Would sure help me do more than read and sit at the computer all day. Or on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even have routines on my laptop and phone. A couple of apps that I always check when I get home from work. My laptop, I have a Daily's bookmark list and I start at the top and work my way down.

      Delete
  3. Routine ~ both a blessing and a curse. If I skip a step in the morning, I don't usually discover it until later....like when I forget my lunch (I always bring lunch from home). This week it was trying to find a parking space at the university in the mass chaos of the first week back for fall.....I was very discombobulated, as all my usual parking spots were completely filled. I wonder how long it will take me to built on a new routine for that?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take my lunch every day as well. but for some reason, I forget to put silverware in a few times a week. I have a few parking spots I park in as well and it always annoys me when they get filled before I get there.

      Delete