Sunday, March 11, 2018

YouTube TV

Wow! It's been over a month since I posted. I started doing a personal (instead of public) journal which has taken away from here but I do type on that daily. I like that I can say whatever I want without having to worry about repercussions. I don't like to talk about work here for a couple of reasons. Because this is public, I don't want to speak bad about work, even if it's about the people I work with, in case my employer does run across it. Not that I would have that much to complain about but you never know. I also don't want a fellow employee run across something that I said about them. I don't ever use names but if it's about them, I'm sure they'd figure it out so I don't say anything. It's kind of the same thing with home. So I always have to be concerned about who sees what so I don't post much. Like I said, it's been nice not having to worry about that.



About a month ago, we finally dropped our cable. TV, not internet. I still have internet through Comcast/Xfinity because they are the best there is, at least around here. We looked at dropping our internet and just using hot spots on our phones for internet at home. Verizon has an unlimited data plan but if you read the small print, it slows down after 15 gb and we use almost that now without using it at home. Like I said though, we dropped the cable TV portion and are using YouTube TV. It saves us about $65/month which in the long run, is quite a bit. We've been using for a month now and are completely happy. There are a few channels that we don't have now but not enough to even be a negative and they seem to be adding channels as they can. The added all the Turner Network (TBS, TNT, ect.) just after we signed up. We can't seem to get the app to work on our Roku that's part of our TV. So we stream it through our phones through the Chromecast to our TV. We had to upgrade our Chromecast because we still had the 1st generation but other than that, it's been fine.

The positives about YouTube TV.
  1. You can have up to 5 accounts. Each account is separate so all 5 accounts can record their own shows. Cheri records her shows and I record mine and our shows since we only watch them when I'm home.
  2. Unlimited DVR cloud storage for each account.
  3. Live TV on over 60 channels. All my local channels are included as well as a whole slew of sports channels. Most of the channels we watched are here as well, like I said above, only a few we watched aren't.
  4. The most positive for me is the live sports. That's the whole reason we hadn't cut the cord until now. I can still watch my Michigan games as well as the White Sox. I'm also looking forward to watching the NCAA tourney on my phone at work since they play games all day long in the early rounds.
The negatives about YouTube TV.
  1. It records everything. You can't tell it to just record new episodes but it does show new episodes in a different location than the reruns so it's not a very big negative in my book.
  2. It doesn't have all the channels we watch but again, not a huge negative because it has most of what we watched. It might be a bigger negative to other people because it depends on what channels you tend to watch.
  3. You can't record 1 episode of something. An example is I want to record a regular Big Ten Network show that is doing an episode on the Michigan head coach, but it sets it to record every episode. After that episode airs, I will take it off of recording.
You can take what you will out of the above but those were the positives and negatives that we have noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment