Sunday, July 14, 2013

Swimming and Worrying

I missed all my weekly posts this week, no Music Mondays, no WWW Wednesdays, not even a Flashback Fridays or Stacking the Shelves.  I’m a slacker I know.  I did do a post about joining Pinterest a few days ago, hoping to get a few followers.  It netted me exactly 0 so thanks for that.  The sad part is this is my 2 day work week so I’ve been home more than not.  Although Samantha has had All-Star practices all week to prepare for her games starting tomorrow (today/Sunday) and I usually sit and watch them so I’ve been busy in the evenings.  Friday I took the kids swimming at my grandfather’s sister-in-laws house and accomplished this.

If Trevor doesn’t want to do something, he won’t.  He will be 9 in August and I finally got  him to swim across the deep end.  I begged, pleaded, threatened, told him kids were going to make fun of him, none of it worked.  The sad thing is he can swim, he just doesn’t want to.  I’m hoping filming it and having him do it a few times gave him the confidence to go to town but it didn’t, he went back to playing in the shallow end.  He’s the same way with riding a bike, he just doesn’t care if he learns.  I have to force him into doing it.

Samantha on the other hand, I can treat her differently.  This is how I taught her how to swim.  I knew if I did that to Trevor, he’d drown.  He wouldn’t have even tried to swim, just sink.  It’s amazing the differences between my kids.  It also scares me that Trevor is so like I was when I was his age (although I could swim and ride a bike way before 9) and his laid back attitude just drives me nuts. (Shut up mom).  He’s content by himself, doesn’t need anybody to play with.  You ask him a question that he doesn’t want to answer, he just stares at you.  I worry about kids picking on him in school but it hasn’t been an issue yet, or at least not that I know of.  He scares me because he’s not really like other boys his age.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care that he’s different, I just don’t want his life to be harder than it needs to be because of it.  I was picked on in school and I don’t want anything like that to happen to either of my kids.

Maybe I’m worrying too much, but it’s my job as a parent to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment