Friday, December 21, 2012

Time for Lipo

I came to a realization today.  I’m fat.  I know what your thinking,

  • Duh!
  • Do you not have mirrors?
  • Have you seen yourself eat?
  • Have you not noticed you block the sun?
  • Or noticed it’s been years since you’ve seen your penis?

Ok, maybe not all those.  But seriously, I’ve seen the signs the last few weeks but have tried to blame it on other things.  Like my clothes shrinking, my new clothes they were just making them smaller than they use to and 12 hours at work is getting to me.  But today, at work, I was walking by our industrial sized scale and I figured it could handle my weight, so I went ahead and climbed aboard.  My first reaction – HOLY F***ING SH*T.  Now before I show you the number that came up, remember that I had my work uniform on (that’s at least 4 pounds), plus it has a patch with my name on it (another pound), steel toed boots (10 pounds), I haven’t shaved in a few days (at least 3 pounds), I hadn’t taken my daily constitutional yet (could be 5 pounds on a good day), I had my cellphone on me (10 pounds at least).  Ok, I lied,  My first cellphone might have been 10 pounds but my latest one is probably only 1 pound.

     

Before I show you the number that came up, let me give you some background.  I’m 6’3” and have been since early high school.  I was around 150 lbs when I graduated a little over 20 years ago.  I stayed active playing basketball in the winter and softball for multiple teams during the summer.  I’m guessing about 7 or 8 years ago, I was around 175 lbs.  But I tore my rotator cuff playing softball stretching out behind me to make a catch over my head.  After I caught it the momentum took my arm back behind me.  I didn’t realize I tore anything until the next morning when I couldn’t pull my pants up.  But, being the idiot I am, I completed the season and hurt it more.  What it came down to is I had to take the next summer off as well because it still hadn’t healed.  When I wasn’t playing sports, I gradually started gaining more weight.  I ended up retiring from sports because by the time my shoulder had healed, I was fat and out of shape.  My knees and ankles couldn’t hack carrying my fat ass at a run.  Of course, I told myself it was because I was out of shape and not the additional weight.  Don’t get me wrong, I knew I was overweight but being as I worked most every day and I walk all day long at work, I didn’t really consider myself majorly out of shape.  Well, I got up to about 250 lbs and stayed for awhile.  Probably even a few years.  But lately I’ve noticed more weight gain.  Like I mentioned above, my work uniform was getting tighter, we bought some 2X shirts and had to return them for 3X and more difficulty bending down to tie my shoes to name a few.  If I had to guess, it’s the 12 hour days that I’m working that has done it.  Well, not really the days I worked but the days I’m off.  I had very few days off so I was constantly on my feet where as now, I spend a lot of my days off sitting on the couch, doing nothing.  I have 3 days off one week, and 4 the next so a lot more down time.  Because of the 12 hours, that first day off I’m usually just exhausted.  But I have no excuse for the other days.  I’ve just gotten really lazy.  So I need to do something about it.  And about this.

fatass

Sorry about the zoom in and you can see how nasty the scale is but now you know why I said the cuss words above.  That is the most I’ve ever weighed.  Now granted, some of what I said above is true, I do have on my steel toed boots but still, that’s just ridiculous.  So I’ve decided I need to do something about it.  I’m going to try to come up with 10 things that I need to do to get healthier.

  1. I’m going to start doing Wii fit again on my off days.  I’m too exhausted on work days and I don’t get home until after 7 as it is.
  2. I’m going to start doing 100 sit ups and 100 push ups everyday.  Even work days
  3. I’m going to try to do some crunches on a work out ball, that will go right after my gut.  I probably won’t be able to do many but hopefully at least some.
  4. No more Taco Bell.  I love Taco Bell and this will be the hardest.
  5. The apartments here have a work out room so I’m going to try to get over there periodically if for anything, ride the bike or something productive.
  6. I’m also going to lift weights, bench press, ect. and bulk up my upper body strength.  I have never had any upper body strength.  All my muscle was in my legs.
  7. I’m going to cut back on the snacks before bed.  I do tend to get chips or cookies before bed and munch, sometimes until the bag is gone.
  8. I’m no longer going to drink sweet tea.  That’s about all I drink at home.  I drink a lot, usually about a 32 oz. glass a day or so but it has enough sugar that I’m sure it’s not helping.
  9. I’m going to drink more water.  On my days off, I tend to sit all day and never drink anything.  I don’t know if this will necessarily help me with weight loss but it will be a healthier alternative.
  10. I’m going to start riding my bike, winter, spring summer and fall.  At least 100 miles a week.

Yeah!  I got 10, too bad I’m only going to actually do the odd numbered ones.  I have no intentions of doing the even numbered ones.  But I got 10.  I know, I’m cheating already.  I would save this for a New Year’s Resolution but I don’t really do those since I never follow through on them anyways.  And to be honest, the deck is stacked against me with this goal as well, because I am fat, and lazy.

I’d promise you a weekly post to let you know how I’m doing, I could even call it Fat Ass Fridays but I probably won’t keep that up either so I’m not going to promise you anything.  I’m hoping that since I put this up here, maybe some of you all will keep me accountable.  I do know if I start doing this, it won’t be until Monday because I’m working all weekend.

2 comments:

  1. At least you're 6'3" tall. I've been your weight (down from that a bit now) and I'm only 5'8" tall. I'm sure you look fine but it's important to feel healthy. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really what it's about. I don't really care what I look like but I'm embarrassed that I get out of breath doing very little.

      Delete