Sunday, August 19, 2012

Date Night and a Custom Foot Job

We ditched the kids (spent the night at a friends house) so we decided to go out for supper.  Rather than the usual fast food, we made our usual trip when they have a certain special going on.

           

I love me some shrimp and my wife knows this so she suggested going here even though she doesn’t like seafood.  So I got home from work, changed clothes (without showering because I don’t stink) and headed on out for a lovely evening.  There was a 45 minute wait but I was already craving the shrimp and couldn’t walk away.  Being the anti-social people we are, we sat in the car with the pager.  Didn’t help staying away from the people inside though because there was a drunk moron in the parking talking loudly because he locked his keys in the van.  Truth be told, I don’t know if he was drunk, I’m just giving him an excuse because he was obnoxious.  We just sat and made fun of him to ourselves, he was annoying but it didn’t bother us.

The pager goes off, then my wife has to change her pants from it scaring her, and then we head on in.  We ended up sitting next to a big group that had another obnoxious loud talker.  Laughed loudly too, only problem was, he was the only one laughing so I don’t think he was really all that funny.  Once their food came it got much quieter, but again we didn’t let it ruin our evening.

Started off with a garden salad (bleu cheese dressing please) and of course a couple of those awesome cheddar bay biscuits.  God I love those.  Then came the shrimp.  If you’ve never eaten the unlimited shrimp, your first platter comes with one side (fries) and 2 small plates of shrimp.  10 pieces per plate.  They have 4 or 5 different ways it’s cooked and you just keep order a small plate of whichever kind you want.  I started off with a plate of Garlic shrimp and a plate of some kind of parmesan shrimp.  I ended up sticking with the Garlic the rest of the night, not that I don’t enjoy the others but I really like the Garlic.  I kept it coming and nibbled on my fries between plates.  I got my fill.

2012-08-18_21-28-06_147

So my supper ended up being a salad, a couple biscuits, fries and 80 shrimp.  I know, I slacked.  I used to eat a lot more than that till my wife came along and got me eating less food.  She taught me to stop when I was full, I didn’t use to, if it was there, I was eating it.

Afterwards, I found out the real reason she suggested Red Lobster.  She wanted to drag my ass to Walmart to grocery shop.  She played me.  Although I did get some new work boots out of it.  And that brings me to part 2 of this post.

Many many moons ago, I went to a podiatrist to get my feet looked at. They came to the recommendation that I needed custom orthotics made.  This came as no shock to me because I was already using arch support and I'm on my feet all day long at work.  On top of being on my feet all day, I have to wear steel toe boots and I spend all that time walking on a metal catwalk.  Needless to say, my feet hurt a lot.

What also didn't come to a shock to me was the insurance denied my claim for custom orthotics.  Don't even get me started on how they have the power over my doctors to judge what I need.  But somehow, they have it.  So I continued buying new arch support and cheap cushioned insoles for awhile because custom orthotics are not cheap.

Yesterday, we were at the local Walmart, although, it wasn't our usual Walmart.  I have 3 of them within an 8 mile radius but I tend to frequent the one next door to my house.  I was picking up my arch support when we saw one of those Dr. Scholl's machines that you stand on and it reads your foot.  I took my shoes off, climbed on amidst the heckling from my wife for the holey socks and let it take a reading.

It’s kind of cool, it reads how you stand amongst other things.  A picture like the one to the left is on the screen and shows it to (not my feet for you foot fetish types.)  It said I had flat arches and something else, I don’t remember.  Something about pressure on my heel and balls of my feet.  But it recommended a certain orthotic support that they had for sale.  I debated on whether I wanted to drop that kind of money on them.  It was certainly way cheaper than a real custom orthotic but also a lot more expensive then my air cushion soles and generic arch supports that I usually buy.  The wife and I discussed it and went ahead and dropped the money on them.  Sometimes I actually think she’s concerned about me at work, don’t tell her I know though.  I wore them today for the first time, they weren’t bad, definitely better than my cheapies.  I just hope they last awhile to make the money worthwhile.  I’ll keep you all updated because I know how intently you guys are concerned about my feet.

Thus ended my evening with me coming home a little after 11 and crashing in bed.  I was even too tired to whip my shrimp out for some fun so it wasn’t the kind of foot job that you thought when you read the title to this post, you pervert.  It was a nice evening though, we always enjoy our time together when there are no kids to bother us.

No comments:

Post a Comment