Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shhh! Don’t tell anybody.

So, today is my birthday.  Ho Hum!  Not a big deal for me, it’s just another day.  As a matter of fact, it was a scheduled day off but I went to work anyways and put 9 hours in.  I had forgotten it was my birthday until I started getting all the Happy Birthday’s from my Facebook to my phone.  It’s amazing how many people say Happy Birthday even though they never comment or like anything else.  I only wish Happy Birthday to those that I actually converse with on Facebook.  Nobody at work knew it was my birthday which is the way I like it.  Although, the HR lady posted Happy Birthday on my Facebook wall while we were both there.  If they find out it’s your birthday, they usually announce a Happy Birthday Jeff on the intercom over the whole plant.

After work, I came home and took my daughter to go buy her first car.  This is where it really shows that my birthday is just another day.  As I’m filling out the paperwork, first, I asked what the date was.  As soon as the question was out, I was thinking, oh yeah, duh!  My daughter just looked at me with a “really?” look.  I don’t think she gets the whole, my birthday means nothing to me, attitude.  She’s 17, they are all a reason to party for her.  Enjoy them while you can.

The bad part was, when I was signing my name and date.  Every time I went to write the date, I wanted to write 6/6/73, because that’s what I’m used to saying when I say 6/6.  I’d write 6/6/  then have to think about what year I wanted to put down.  I wondered if they would have noticed if I had put ‘73 on it.

I came home to some Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes, one of my favorite meals that my wife makes.  Then topped it off with some cheesecake, which is my favorite dessert.  My kids both gave me the cards they made for me.  Nice, quiet birthday, that’s what I like.

 

And for something completely off topic, I just saw a KFC commercial, where the kid and his grandfather are wrestling for which side dish to get.  At the very end, the grandson reaches for the last biscuit and the grandfather grabs his hand.  Hilarious!  Why you ask?  Because one of the stories I hear about, every time we have biscuits at a family get together, is when my grandfather and I fought over the last biscuit when I was a kid.  Let’s just say the story ends with me storming off down the hall, elbows flaring.  I like to say that I respect my elders and let him have it.  But I don’t think anybody buys it.  I’ll see if I can find it on YouTube.

And there you go.  The commercial is about extra sides.  But the last few seconds are the part that cracked me up.  I texted my grandfather after I saw it and told him about it and said it made me think about him.

5 comments:

  1. Um. Happy birthday. But I've commented here before, so I get special dispensation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday!! Glad you had a nice laid back day. It's always nice to just get through the day unscathed, at least in my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree, definitely unscathed is a good thing.

      Delete
  3. very loving to share birthday wishes for specially to get day in onlin..

    ReplyDelete